Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] x86/vm_event: Allow returning i-cache for emulation

On Sep 12, 2016 08:17, "George Dunlap" <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/09/16 16:41, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > When emulating instructions the emulator maintains a small i-cache fetched
> > from the guest memory. Under certain scenarios this memory region may contain
> > instructions that a monitor subscriber would prefer to hide, namely INT3, and
> > instead would prefer to emulate a different instruction in-place.
> >
> > This patch extends the vm_event interface to allow returning this i-cache via
> > the vm_event response.
>
> So do you have a problem right now with stale caches (i.e., you modify
> an INT3 back to something else in guest RAM but the emulator still
> emulates the INT3)?  Or is the idea here that instead of doing the
> replace-singlestep-replace loop, you just tell the emulator, "Here,
> emulate this instead" (without removing the INT3 from guest memory at all)?
>
> (Or am I completely missing the point here?)

Hi George,
it's the latter! This would make tracing with int3s a bit more flexible on multi-vcpu guests as there would be no racecondition. I use altp2m right now to get around this problem but it's always good to have a backup in case altp2m is disabled.

Tamas