Re: [Xen-devel] per-domain logging

On Thu, 2016-09-15 at 16:11 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 03:50:25PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> >
> > CC Ian who might have some ideas on this.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:22:24PM +0200, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I wanted to get libvirt's libxl driver have per-domain logs like all
> > > other drivers. After
> > > looking at the libxl and XenToolLogger it seems I'll need to add the
> > > feature in either libxl
> > > XenToolLogger. Would anyone already have an idea how best to add API to
> > > allow this?
> > >

> Can you briefly describe how other drivers do per-domain logging?

For example, the qemu driver is storing all logging of domain X in
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/X.log file.
So far all libxl logs are going to /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log.

> Basically one libxl_ctx corresponds to one logger. I guess you don't
> want multiple libxl_ctx, right?

Indeed, we have on libxl_ctx for the driver, not one per domain.

> IIRC there is already logfile abstraction inside libvirt -- can you just
> pass in a libvirt logfile fd and try to demux there?

The abstraction we have is something similar to the XenToolLogger, not
something abstracting the log files. Even if we had that, how could we demux
since there is
no domain name in the libxl messages.

--
Cedric