Re: [Xen-devel] Future support of 5-level paging in Xen

>>> On 08.12.16 at 18:22, <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/12/16 16:46, Juergen Gross wrote:
>> The first round of (very preliminary) patches for supporting the new
>> 5-level paging of future Intel x86 processors [1] has been posted to
>> lkml:
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/12/8/378
>>
>> An explicit note has been added: "CONFIG_XEN is broken." and
>> "I would appreciate help with the code."
>>
>> I think we should start a discussion what we want to do in future:
>>
>> - are we going to support 5-level paging for PV guests?
>> - do we limit 5-level paging to PVH and HVM?
>
> The 64bit PV ABI has 16TB of virtual address space just above the upper
> 48-canonical boundary.
>
> Were Xen to support 5-level PV guests, we'd either leave the PV guest
> kernel with exactly the same amount of higher half space as it currently
> has, or we'd have to recompile Xen as properly position-independent and
> use a different virtual range in different paging mode.

Right; a first question though would be whether 5-level support
would be a build time selection (just like 32-bit PAE was long ago),
or runtime determined.

> Another pain point is the quantity of virtual address space handed away
> in the ABI.  We currently had 97% of the virtual address space away to
> 64bit PV guests, and frankly this is too much.  This is the wrong way
> around when Xen has more management to do than the guest.  If we were to
> go along the 5-level PV guests route, I will insist that there is a
> rather more even split of virtual address space baked into the ABI.

I agree, but we may face resistance from (Linux and other) kernel
folks.

> However, a big question is whether any of this effort is worth doing, in
> the light of PVH.

Much depends, I think, on how quickly this becomes a fully
supported feature.

Jan