Re: [Xen-devel] HPET enabled in BIOS, not presented as available_clocksource -- config, kernel code, &/or BIOS?

(apologies re: the empty 'double tap' :-/ )

On 5/14/17 8:39 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>> So I'm still unclear -- is this^ now, correctly "all" using MSI/HPET?
>
> What are you trying to achieve?  It is still not clear despite all on
> this thread.
>
> The Linux HEPT error messages are non-ideal, but there is no way dom0
> will ever be able to use clocksource=hpet when running under Xen.

What I'm trying to achieve is to

        (a) understand, in general
        (b) correctly implement HPET usage in Xen
&
        (c) understand &, as needed, remediate the warnings/error message that
seem(ed) to be associated

I.e. -- what exactly needs be done, and what should be the observable results,
when "using" HPET with Xen.  It's simply not obvious from the docs.

The docs here,

        https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_power_management

are ... somewhat challenging:

        "By far Xen3.4 supports PIT/HPET as the broadcast source.
        HPET as broadcast timer source (clocksource) =
        HPET can delivery timely wakeup event to CPUs sleep in deep C-states
with negligible overhead, as stated earlier. But HPET mode being used does make
some differences to worthy of our noting:

            If h/w supports per-channel MSI delivery mode (intr via FSB), it's
the best broadcast mechanism known so far.
        "

??

OTOH, this comment:

On 5/15/17 11:06 AM, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> That depends on what you mean by everything correctly using the HPET.
> Using clocksource=xen (or autoselecting it) will cause the kernel to get
> timing info from Xen.  If you're running as a guest, this is absolutely
> what you want (unless you're using HVM), and with possible limited and
> extremely specific exceptions, this is almost certainly what you want in
> Domain-0 as well.  Given that Xen is using the HPEt for timing itself,
> using clocksource=xen will result in Linux _indirectly_ using the HPET
> through Xen without involving the HPET driver (in essence, Xen is your
> HPET driver in this situation), which will get you essentially the same
> precision that you would get by using the HPET directly.
>
> So, if you just want the precision offered by the HPET, then yes, you
> are getting the same thing through the Xen clocksource.

Is legible, understandable & helpfully informative. (Thanks, Austin! Valentin's
comments helped as well.)

'tho further detail on common &/or "limited and extremely specific exceptions"
use-cases of PVH, HVM, PVHVM & HVM2 will be useful, I'd heartily recommend that
some version of Austin's comment be added to the docs/wiki as a nice doc-step
forward.