Re: [Xen-devel] Test for osstest, features used in Qubes OS

On Mon, 2018-05-21 at 12:04 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > That's not entirely trivial then, especially for you, unless you
> > want
> > to set up your own osstest production instance.  However, I can
> > probably do the osstest-machinery work if you will help debug it,
> > review logs, tell me what to do next, etc. :-).
>
> I'm pretty sure it would be possible to test the Xen "get ready for
> suspend" and "resume from suspend" functionality without actually
> needing to interact with ACPI -- we just get it to the point where it
> would start interacting with ACPI, and then have it return instead.
> From a "I'm positive this will continue to work" point of view it's
> not as satisfying as actually doing the suspend; but from a practical
> point of view, it will catch the vast majority of bugs in Xen (as
> opposed to hardware-specific quirks); and it will run on any hardware
> (which means not having to do reliability testing).
>
> IIRC Dario actually had a patch for something like this for his own
> testing at some point -- Dario, anything to add?

Indeed I had a patch (it's originally from Ben, actually). I sent it,
so it can be found in list archives. And, in any case, I still have it
around and can resend it.

I did catch quite a few bugs with it back then.

> What if we 1) have two versions of the test -- "Fake suspend" and
> "Real Suspend"; 2) only run "Real suspend" on hardware specifically
> marked as having a suspend that works reliably; 3) default all
> hardware to 'false' until we do some testing to find out how reliable
> it is?
>
> That way we get suspend testing 95% effective as quickly as possible,
> and we can complete it as we have time.

That sounds a very good plan to me, FWIW.

Regards,
Dario