Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and safety certification, Minutes of the meeting on Apr 4th

On Tue, 22 May 2018, Jarvis Roach wrote:
> > > For instance, here is another idea: we could have Xen boot multiple
> > > domains at boot time from device tree, as suggested in the dom0-less
> > > approach. All of the domains booted from Xen are "mission-critical".
> > > The first domain could still be dom0. Once booted, Dom0 can start
> > > other VMs, however, Xen would restrict Dom0 from doing any operations
> > > affecting the first set of mission-critical domains.
> > >

> Does the first domain have to be dom0? Would it be possible to have domains
> boot in parallel (especially if allocated to separate CPU cores) such that a
> simple OS (like FreeRTOS) would complete booting before dom0/Linux? In other
> words, does the hypervisor have any dependencies on dom0 having performed
> certain functions (interrupt configuration, MMU table initialization, timers,
> etc.) before it can create and start additional VMs?

I don't think there are any dependencies except for xenstore and PV
protocol access. It should be possible to boot Dom0 and the other domain
in parallel, as long as the other domain is like a baremetal guest (no
PV network/disk access).