Re: [Xen-devel] Xen project CI systems and committer workflow

Hi Jan,

On 25/04/2019 13:37, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 18.04.19 at 16:02, <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew Cooper writes ("Re: Xen project CI systems and committer workflow"):
While everything presented here is fine to do as a matter of policy, the
committers still need to retain the ability to actually push directly to
the staging branches on xen.git

Why ?

In particular, this seems to presuppose that these "staging" branches
continue to exist.

One of our strange practices is that we push things to a non-rewinding
branch before they have been tested.  Now, OK, we have been doing that
for over a decade - since before people really invented the modern
concept of "CI" - but that doesn't make it sensible.

Now the question of course is - why do you consider this practice
"strange"? And what do you mean by "before they have been
tested"? Any submitter should have tested their patches. Yes, not
everyone tests all possible (basic) configurations, but we spot
such issues in review more often than they slip through, I think.

It is fairly common to see breakage on Arm because changes was only compiled on x86. The most common argument is "I don't have setup to build Arm".

The CI would allow us to test on every arch, different variation of .config (and possibly compiler).

And I don't expect CI will come anywhere near testing all
_possible_ configurations, i.e. the risk of subtle breakage won't
get eliminated altogether anyway.

Nothing is fully bullet-proof, but this is an improvement over manual testing on most of the build configuration today. The CI actually proved the usefulness by catching build bug in random .config the last few months.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall