Re: [Xen-devel] wall clock drift on Coffee Lake / C24x mainboard (HPET broken?), best practices

On 18.11.2019 20:35, Andreas Kinzler wrote:
> On 15.11.2019 12:01, Andreas Kinzler wrote:
>>> Hence I can only suggest that you try again with limited or no
>>> use of C states, to at least get a hint as to a possible
>> I changed the BIOS setting to a limit of PC7 and it is now running. I
>> have to wait for the result. Thanks.
>
> Previously the drift after 4 days uptime was 60 sec. Now after 4 days
> uptime drift is 9 sec. So setting the package c-state limit to PC7 was a
> success.

9s still seems quite a lot to me, but yes, it's an improvement.
Now would you be up to checking whether, rather than via BIOS
settings (which not all BIOSes may offer) the same can be
achieved by using Xen's command line option "max_cstate="?

Also did you check whether further limiting C state use would
further improve the situation? And did you possibly also check
whether telling Xen not to use the HPET would make a difference?

Jan