Re: [Xen-devel] Status of 4.13

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 8:41 AM, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 21.11.2019 08:36, Jürgen Groß wrote:

>>> A workaround was found by specifying cpuid values in the Windows VM
>>> config file.
>>>
>>> The workaround line is:
>>> cpuid = [ "0x80000008:ecx=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0100xxxxxxxxxxxx" ]
>>>
>>> It was suggested that this be documented - but no immediate action
>>> should be taken - with a view to correct this properly in 4.14.
>>
>> I'm aware of the suggestion, but not of any decision. :-)
>
> It was my understanding that we'd cap the 4-bit value to 7 for
> the time being. I think George was planning to send a patch.

On that also, I’m aware of the suggestion, but not of any decision.  I don’t
think I got much feedback, positive or negative, about the idea.

Suppose we implement the limit for 4.13. If someone runs Linux VMs on 4.12 a
system with a hardware value of 7 for apic_id_size, the guests will see 8.  If
they then migrate to 4.13, the value will magically change under their feet to
7.  Is that OK?

 -George