Re: ARM - Successful install on RockPro64

Hello Julien,

I also have been busy and unable to reply.

On 6/24/20 1:42 PM, Julien Grall wrote:

On 17/06/2020 23:28, Richard Simpson wrote:
Hello Julien,

Hello Richard,

Apologies for the late answer.

I have just tried 4.14-rc2 and it seems to work fine.

Glad to hear that. Thank you for the testing!

I think that the most useful page regarding the board is the one for the Ibox3399 since this refers to the RK3399 chip which the RockPro64 uses (shouldn't the page actually be called RK3399 to make it more generic).

I agree with the renaming here.

Perhaps I can most usefully record what I did by updating that page and making sure that the instructions work correctly. If there is additional stuff relevant to the RockPro64 over and above the generic RK3399 info then I'll give some thought to how to best record it.  I will eventually be writing a fuller report on my progress on my blog at funfoodfreedom.huskydog.org.uk.

Any additional content on the wiki will be greatly appreciated. By default new wiki account doesn't have write permission, but we can enable it for you if you provide us your username.
I now have editor access on the Wiki and have made a small test edit in the hardware section.  I will now try to make other changes as I learn more whilst trying very hard not to break anything!

I now need to finish automating the boot process (still requires manual u-boot command) and figure out how to get the console log to work.

I wrote a small u-boot script in the past to try to automate the boot (see [2]).

I vaguely remember some quoting issue and missing 0x in front of values depending on the U-boot configuration you use. So you may have to tweak it a bit.
I now have a boot script that seems to automate the boot OK.  I am sure it could be better and I would like to add a boot menu but these are refinements I can do later.  I will see what I can learn from your example.

Currently I can either see the xen and linux kernel boot messages OR see the dom0 console, but not both.

Can you provide the kernel/xen command lines you use in the two cases?

As an aside, I know that on some setup Linux will try to disable the clock of the UART used by Xen. One of the symptoms is the UART is becoming completely unusable half way through Linux boot.

You may want to try to pass clk_ignored_unused to see if it helps.
I still haven't fixed the boot message problem but I got very confused about what changes were having which effect.  Hopefully this weekend I will systematically try the various xen and Linux options and produce a table of what the effect is each time.  I'll also try your clk_ignored suggestion.  If I don't find a working combination then I'll post a question and I guess this should be on the users list rather than this one.

On one more related note:  I suspect that Xen would run on the PineBookPro as well as I get the impression that it uses very similar hardware.  Of course that would rely on the GPU etc which I haven't tested at all as I am using the serial console.
I wouldn't expect any issue to use the GPU in dom0 at least if you don't have an IOMMU on the platform. The trouble may be more with the bootloader if it doesn't drop you in hypervisor mode.

Finally, when I joined this mailing list I asked for a daily digest. However I seem to be getting a new digest every hour or so.  Is this right?

I haven't used the digest myself. I CC Ian Jackson who may be able to help you.

Cheers,

[2] https://xenbits.xen.org/people/julieng/load-xen-tftp.scr.txt