Re: [BUG] x2apic broken with current AMD hardware

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 09:14:17AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 17.03.2023 18:26, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> >> When "(XEN) - x2APIC" is absent the IOMMU can't be switched into x2APIC
> >> mode. Are you sure that's the case when using "Auto"?
> >
> > grep -eAPIC\ driver -e-\ x2APIC:
> >
> > "Auto":
> > (XEN) Using APIC driver default
> > (XEN) Overriding APIC driver with bigsmp
> > (XEN) Switched to APIC driver x2apic_cluster
> >
> > "x2APIC":
> > (XEN) Using APIC driver x2apic_cluster
> > (XEN) - x2APIC
> >
> > Yes, I'm sure.
>
> Okay, this then means we're running in a mode we don't mean to run
> in: When the IOMMU claims to not support x2APIC mode (which is odd in
> the first place when at the same time the CPU reports x2APIC mode as
> supported), amd_iommu_prepare() is intended to switch interrupt
> remapping mode to "restricted" (which in turn would force x2APIC mode
> to "physical", not "clustered"). I notice though that there are a
> number of error paths in the function which bypass this setting. Could
> you add a couple of printk()s to understand which path is taken (each
> time; the function can be called more than once)?

If I'm reading the logs right, this could sugggest "Local APIC Mode"
setting was modifying the IOMMU side of the APIC, not the processor side
of the APIC setting.

There is also a "Compatibility" value which I haven't tried.  Perhaps
taking a look would be interesting.

> >> Did you also try "x2apic_phys" on the Xen command line (just to be sure
> >> this isn't a clustered-mode only issue)?
> >
> > No.  In fact x2apic_cluster is mentioned in all failure cases.
>
> Could you give physical mode a try, please?

I had taken the previous message as an implicit request to do so.  I was
stating I had not previously done so.  While "x2apic=false" is functional
as a workaround, I really would like to get to the bottom of this.

> >> This is a known issue, but since the messages shouldn't appear in the
> >> first place so far no-one has bothered to address this.
> >
> > I won't claim it is the best solution, but see other message.
> >
> > I'm tempted to propose allowing _Static_assert() since it is valuable
> > functionality for preventing issues.
>
> How does _Static_assert() come into play here? Also note that we already
> use it when available ...

This is more in relation to the patch.  Appears GCC's C90 mode disables
_Static_assert(), so the _Static_assert(ARRAY_SIZE(args) == 8) had to be
dropped.

Come to think of it, I should have copied Neowutran on this thread as
everyone else has been running into this too.  Perhaps "x2apic=false" has
gotten less attention since it is a single-shot workaround.  Whereas
"tsc_mode = 1" needs to be repeated in every domain's configuration.

Neowutran, I'm unsure whether you remain subscribed to this list or not.
As such I'm attaching a copy of Jan Beulich's proposed patch, which may
(not yet tested) solve the "x2apic=false" issue.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg@xxxxxxx  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445