Re: Possible bug? DOM-U network stopped working after fatal error reported in DOM0

On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 12:13:04PM +0100, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:

> >> Hello to both,
> >>
> >> Sorry, I completely dropped the ball on that patch, didn't even
> >> remember I had it pending :(.
> >>
> >> Will do a build test with it and commit later today, I don't think I
> >> will get any feedback, and it seems to improve the situation for your
> >> use-cases.
> >
> > Hi Roger,
> > Just another query of the latest status. It'll be great if you can
> > share a link to the upstream commit.
> > I'm thinking of asking for a back-port of your fix to the FreeNAS
> > community, assuming it will take a long time to roll out otherwise.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > G.R.
> >

> >> Thanks, Roger.
> >

> Hi everyone!
>
> So did anything ever happen on this?  I find myself in the same situation
> with TrueNAS core 13, and can’t see any signs of changes in the FreeBSD 13
> branches.

Hello,

I don't think the change is suitable to backport, it's IMO too
intrusive and risky.  It was committed late 2022, and it's in 14.0:

commit dabb3db7a817f003af3f89c965ba369c67fc4910
Author: Roger Pau Monné <royger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Thu Nov 3 13:29:22 2022 +0100

    xen/netfront: deal with mbuf data crossing a page boundary

    There's been a report recently of mbufs with data that crosses a page
    boundary. It seems those mbufs are generated by the iSCSI target
    system:

    https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2021-12/msg01581.html

    In order to handle those mbufs correctly on netfront use the bus_dma
    interface and explicitly request that segments must not cross a page
    boundary. No other requirements are necessary, so it's expected that
    bus_dma won't need to bounce the data and hence it shouldn't
    introduce a too big performance penalty.

    Using bus_dma requires some changes to netfront, mainly in order to
    accommodate for the fact that now ring slots no longer have a 1:1
    match with mbufs, as a single mbuf can use two ring slots if the data
    buffer crosses a page boundary. Store the first packet of the mbuf
    chain in every ring slot that's used, and use a mbuf tag in order to
    store the bus_dma related structures and a refcount to keep track of
    the pending slots before the mbuf chain can be freed.

    Reported by: G.R.
    Tested by: G.R.
    MFC: 1 week
    Differential revision: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D33876

TrueNAS/OOPNsense might consider picking it up themselves.

Thanks, Roger.