[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Run X in other domains?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 22:15 +0000, Mark Hurenkamp wrote:

> What settings are you including in your domU kernel config? I had similar
> problems when I was building with fbcon included, do you have vesafb
> built-in? And fbcon?

All I deliberately changed from the default xenU config was enabling
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS & CONFIG_PCI.  This automatically set a bunch
of other options to 'y', including _INPUT, _VT, _VT_CONSOLE,
_VGA_CONSOLE & _DUMMY_CONSOLE (as recommended).  No VESA/FB configs set.

> I had more luck when I went for a more modular kernel, (matroxfb, and fbcon
> build as modules, no vesa built-in framebuffer).
>
> I am able to boot into dom1, and am able to insert the matroxfb module, thus
> can cat data to /dev/fb0, showing that it is accessable. However, as soon as
> I insmod fbcon, it oopses. The system was still working though, so I was able
> to track it down, it seems VT subsystem is not properly initialised :-(
> When I have some time, I'll be looking into VT initialisation to see where it
> goes wrong.
> Anyways, this was all on -unstable, so not sure about 2.0.5 right now.

I'm afraid I have to move onto other things right now, so I can't look
into these details either I'm afraid.

> Basically my experiments have shown two problems when trying to start X:
> 1) X needs a VT to run, and I've been unable to get a working dom1 with VT.
> 2) After patching X to not need a VT, I ran into some IO access problem (not
> sure about the message anymore, but should be in the devel list archives
> somewhere, as well as a reference to the patch). It did not seem like a big
> problem, but I've not been able to get past it yet :-(  I tried to patch and
> rebuilt X again, but could not get a stable version anymore...

Your experience seems similar to Gerd Knorr's, both indicating X is at
least partly to blame.  I plan to wait until the X fixes are available
before testing Xen against them, so we might at least hope that X is
behaving before worrying about debugging Xen.

In the mean time of course if anybody makes any progress it would be
great to hear about it ...

Cheers,

Sean.

--