Re: [Xen-users] Problems building a xen0 kernel on Suse 9.3 Pro

  • To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Fernando Maior <fernando.souto.maior@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:12:23 -0300
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:11:49 +0000

On 5/21/05, James Bulpin <James.Bulpin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to insult your
> intelligence - are you sure you're building a xen kernel tree rather than
> the native (ARCH=xen will not work on the latter). Presumably this is the
> SuSE source RPM rather than one of our tarball or BK distributions? Could
> be an issue with the location that the RPM installs the source to.
>
> Regards,
>
> James
> (will be offline from now until tomorrow)
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 11:03 pm, Jeffrey Buell said:
> > I installed Suse 9.3 Pro along with all the kernel tools and sources.  I
> > was
> > easily able to build a new regular kernel, but not a xen0 kernel.  With
> > ARCH=xen and using the supplied config file, "make" almost immediately
> > runs
> > into problems creating links to various asm directories in the
> > kernel/build
> > dir.  I fixed this by copying all of /usr/src/linux into kernel/build.
> > Everything then compiled but I got 2 undefined references:  teardown_irq
> > in
> > ctrl_if_suspend, and kmap_flush_unused in balloon_process.  Presumably
> > there
> > is no bug since a working xen0 kernel was supplied in the distro.  What do
> > people do differently when building a xen0 kernel vs. a regular kernel?
> >
> > Jeff

Jeffrey,

I did not build Xen on 9.3, instead I used 9.2, basically because
I live in a country where there is not access even to 9.2 disks,
and I downloaded the ISO images and wrote the CD myself,
what I cannot do with 9.3 yet - there is no ISO images from
Novell SUSE yet :(

Still, it should not be that different. I just downloaded Xen source
from Xen site, applied all needed and dependencies packages -
for compilation and devel - and, the most important, grab the
linux-2.6.10 from kernel.org and put the file into the directory
created by the untargzip of the Xen source.

Then I read the :

# make xen
# make tools
# make kernels