[Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

There is probably a simple solution to this but I can't seem to find it despite googling and asking around and playing with things for a couple of days. I am running xen-3.0-testing.hg which I just pulled a new copy of last night. uname -a produces:

Linux cpu01 2.6.16.13-xen #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 12:51:50 PDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The OS is CentOS 4.3.

I am running it on an AMD64 motherboard with disk provided via AoE. I have already set up the initrd and everything and the disk works perfectly. The system comes up and xend starts. But when I try to create a new domU:

[root@cpu01 ~]# /usr/sbin/xm create /etc/xen/auto/temp1
Using config file "/etc/xen/auto/temp1".
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

Someone on IRC suggested that the netloop and netbk modules were not installed. But it looks like they are compiled into the kernel that comes with xen-3.0-testing.hg, the XEN section of the kernel's .config:

CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
# CONFIG_XEN_UNPRIVILEGED_GUEST is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI is not set
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS=y
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BE_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP_BE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER is not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK=y
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_FRONTEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_XEN_SYSFS=m
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_ALLOC_SKB=y
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y
CONFIG_HAVE_IRQ_IGNORE_UNHANDLED=y
CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ=y

So it can't be that the module isn't installed right? And this is definitely the kernel I am running. Googling has also suggested that the bridge module could be part of the problem but that module is loaded also. lsmod shows it as the first module listed:

Module                  Size  Used by
bridge                 52256  0

When I issue the xm create command this appears in the messages file:

Aug 17 15:35:36 vmware logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Could not find bridge, and none was specified
Aug 17 15:35:37 vmware net.agent[4344]: remove event not handled
Aug 17 15:35:39 vmware logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Could not find bridge, and none was specified

The /var/log/xend.log of an attempt to create a new domain can be found here:

http://pastebin.ca/136812

Anyone know what the problem could be? I have been working on this project for a couple of months and learned all about initrd's, AoE, and lots of other stuff and I am *so* close to getting this whole cluster working! Really looking forward to putting this into production. Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org