Re: [Xen-users] To Xen or not to Xen

CPU wont be your bottleneck, drive IO will be. Any time one of my DomU's goes IO crazy, the rest of my DomU's might as well be hammered. You can of course minimize that impact by using SCSI controllers or other IO devices that offload that work from your main CPU.
Tim Post wrote:
I think you'd find your best performance just by breaking up LAMP, if
thats the intended use of the rig :)
Keeping mysql and Apache (or your web server of choice) on different
dom-u's means all services have easier times finding contiguous blocks
of cache to take to keep more child servers active during peak load
times.
I'd actually create 3 guests, and just leave the scheduling at default

2 of them web servers, using a central SQL server, for a total of 3.

You can also play around with scheduling later to tweak and learn. I try
to keep everything that malloc()'s much more than it needs (like
apache / mysql) on different dom-u's, whenever possible.

Another config would be use 2 guests, one for sql, one for everything
else. 'Elbow room' in cache is the idea, but having a failover for one
(or both) would be ideal.
HTH

-Tim