RE: [Xen-users] Multi user/seat setup question

  • To: "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:38:12 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:41:37 -0800

Of course you can - but only if you install an ANCIENT version of some
operating system - OS/2 1.x-3.x or Linux 2.2 for example would work...
Not that you can even BUY 64MB of RAM anymore (at least not from regular
retailers).

> > I have chosen a mainboard with onboard pcie graphic and another pcie
> > card in the slot (the board can use both)
> > One mouse/keyboard on ps/2 and one over usb.
> > Onboard sound + one pci sound.
> > One domU would be linux, the other windows xp...

As been said earlier - the PCIe bus may not allow both the builtin
graphics and the external one at the same time - even if you can set the
builtin one to take priority over the external one, doesn't mean that
BOTH will work at the same time. Check that BEFORE you buy the machine.

On the keyboard/mouse front, you'll need to give the entire USB device
to the guest OS - which in turn means that it's limited to using
Para-virtual Linux, since HVM doesn't support PCI passthrough now or in
the near foreseeable future. This means that you either have to have
more than one distinct USB device on the system, or you'll loose the USB
capability on the PS/2 keyboard side.

--
Mats