Re: [Xen-users] openSUSE in domU on a CentOS dom0

  • To: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Rakhesh Sasidharan" <rakheshster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:38:09 +0400
  • Cc: Xen list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:36:36 -0800

On 2/16/07, trilok nuwal <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ok, change your config file to

 kernel = "/boot/xen/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-xen"
 ramdisk = "/boot/xen/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-xen"
 memory = 256
 name = "brahma"
 disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hda8,sda1,w' ]
 vcpus = 1
 vif = [ '' ]
 root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
 extra = "3"

That's the same changes as what you gave a few mails above, right?
Change the hda8 to sda1. Or is there anything else I missed? If its
the same, I've already done that ...

 and change yr /etc/fstab  of open suse to below one.  /dev/sda1 is root for
opensuse domain.

 /dev/sda1             /                       ext3  defaults  1 1
 none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
 none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
 none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
 none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0

 Just try it.  i think it would be just fine.

It already is. I made that change too when you asked me to change
things to sda1. Here's how my openSUSE fstab currently looks:

/dev/sda1            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

It doesn't work.

Any other ideas? I wish I could atleast see what's happening or where
things are going wrong. A console output or something when the
openSUSE machine tries to startup. The log file doesn't make much
sense to me, and except for a few waiting for such and such device
messages I don't see any errors.

Thanks for the user manual link. I've been through that (briefly) as
part of setting these things up.

A question though: now that you mentioned the user manual. I didn't
understand why you said above I must export my host /dev/hda8 as the
guests' /dev/sda1 coz its paravirtualized. Why is it that way? Could
elaborate a bit please or point me to some docs?

Thanks for going through with me on this ......... Much appreciated.
Please let me know if there's anything else I should try.

Regards,
Rakhesh

ps. I was just going through the openSUSE boot partition now, looking
for more clues. I note that openSUSE 10.2 ships with Xen 3.0.3 (all
the Xen files in openSUSE mention 3.0.3). Could that be a problem?
(I'd assume the logs would mention something if that were a problem
...)