Re: [Xen-users] Managing DomU partitions in XEN+LVM systems?

Awesome!  I thought this would work (assuming ntfsresize coped with it).

If you get a chance, it would be really good to have this solution recorded in
the Xen wiki (http://wiki.xensource.com/)

Cheers,
Mark

On Friday 20 April 2007, Jordi Segues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your answers.
> It's exact, when you recreate the table the data is not lost.
>
> There are my commands:
>
> #You extend your LVM partition
> lvextend -L +5G /dev/LVM/2003-clone
>
> #Open cfdisk
> fdisk /dev/LVM/2003-clone
>
>       #Delete NTFS partition
>       #Recreate a bigger NTFS partition
>       #Put the boot flag
>       #We write changes "W"
>       #Quit cfdisk
>
> #We make a ntfsresize, it will extend the old NTFS filesystem to the
> new size of the LVM partition
> kpartx -a /dev/LVM/2003-clone
> ntfsresize /dev/mapper/2003-clonep1
> kpartx -d /dev/LVM/2003-clone
>
> #Now windows 2003 boots perfectly, without data loss and with more disk
> space ;)
>
> On 4/20/07, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 4/19/07, Jordi Segues <jordisd.mailing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > but for me the problem is that fdisk can't enlarge a partition! It
> > > says you must delete it and then recreate it, but if I do this I lose
> > > all my 2003 system.
> >
> > When I did it, I just used fdisk to delete the partition, and then to
> > re-create a new one of the larger size.  The new one must start at the
> > exact same cylinder as the old one did, but can have more cylinders.
> > It's a little scary because of the messages about data loss, but it
> > worked fine for me.
> >
> > To the best of my knowledge, fdisk doesn't touch any other part of the
> > disk other than the partition table, so provided the new partition is
> > larger than the old, and begins at the same position as the old,
> > everything works fine.
> >
> > One precaution I took -- and I recommend you do the same.  I first backed
> > up the entire logical volume, by creating another one of the same size
> > and using dd to copy the content.  That way, if did anything stupid and
> > broke my windows filesystem, I'd have been able to recreate it.
> >
> > Derek.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!