Re: [Xen-users] qemu-dm crashing under 3.1

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:04:01PM +1000, James Harper wrote:
> > > The only thing that strikes me as odd is the value of ioh->fd...
> isn't
> > > that a little bit high for a fd number?
> >
> > That looks like the VNC / event loop corruption bug Anthony & myself
> fixed
> > in upstream QEMU a few months back. You might want to give the
> attached
> > patch a go & see if it helps.
> >

> The point I got to in looking through the code was that the vnc_read
> function could close the fd and deallocate things before the second
> FD_ISSET function... I assume that's what your patch fixes?

Yep, that's exactly the scenario.

> I can no longer make it crash with your patch applied, so I believe it
> is fixed. Woohoo!
>
> Could the same race condition occur in any other code paths? The other
> crash I've seen appears to be similar but not related to the vnc
> stuff...

Well depending on how lucky you are you may or may not see an immediate
crash from the bug I patched. In your case it was fairly immediate, but
I've seen it hit this & only crash later - depends on what random
piece of memory are getting scribbled on :-)

Dan.