Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:26:32PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Christian Horn schrieb:
> >I think its not the effort that is missing, but $amount_of_money that has
> >to go to Redmond for this.
>
> I don't see a conflict here.
> Just include it in price.
>
> Besides, do you think that every company which wrote a Windows driver
> has to pay Microsoft for each person who uses that driver? It's hard for
> me to believe.

There obviously is a need for a pv-windows-driver, and it doesnt exist
yet. The one part the driver would connect to is the opensourced xen.
So i conclude that

- it would take an effort too big to develop the driver as open source
- or closed information would be needed, only available under NDA
or smth.
- or parts would have to be included that had to be baught from
microsoft.

> >AFAIK novell offers the drivers as payware, if its not too wired into
> >the xen 3.0.4+patches they use for sles10sp1 maybe you can also stick with
> >all your current xen-setup and just use the para-drivers additionally.
>
> I think it only works with SLES.
> Which honestly, we don't need - we can support ourselves just fine.
Ok, understandable.

Christian