Re: [Xen-users] RESOLVED: Broadcom NetXtreme II (DELL 1950)

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Ok there are several issues with bridging:
> *STUPIDNESS* You cannot set an IP address on the endpoint of a NIC. If
> you want to manipulate a random subnet trough the bridge you should set
> the bridge with an IP address in this subnet and not one of the 'to be
> bridged' IP addresses.
>

> So
>
> eth1:0.0.0.0  ----  bridge  ---- tap0:0.0.0.0
>                   192.168.0.1
>
> and NOT:
>
> eth1:192.168.0.1 ---- bridge ---- tap0:0.0.0.0

This is how linux bridge works.
Solaris bridge uses a different bridging configration, in which you put
IP address on the NIC.

What I like to do is this :
eth1 --- bridge --- tap0,vif0.1

veth1:192.168.0.1

That is :
- disabled Xen's network-bridge script
- put vif0.1 on the bridge
- setup ip address on veth1

vif0.1 and veth1 is created by xen's netloop driver (loaded by xend. I
also added it to /etc/modprobe.conf). I prefer this setup because :
- there's no IP address on the bridge
- All networking setup is done by redhat's standard config files.

Regards,

Fajar