Re: [Xen-users] HVM install keeps crashing with Centos 5 virt-install

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>>     > Also - is there a way to run RHEL 4 i386 under Xen on an x86_64 host
>>     > (and be presented as a i386 machine to its processes)? One of the
>>     > things I tried was to start an HVM install but I just couldn't
>>     make it
>>     > go. The only way i could make it run was using Qemu.
>>     >
>>     That's odd. It should work. I'll try it out later.
>>

>> There is big chance that i just didn't know how to configure the HVM
>> correctly.
>>

> HVM works.
> You might also want to look at http://people.redhat.com/riel/RHEL4-Xen-HOWTO

... and I just want to say, that having tested Fedora8/development
kernel, I can confirm that 32 on 64 works as expected. In the test setup
I use :
- RHEL5 x86_64 dom0
- F8's kernel-xen-2.6.21-2950.fc8.x86_64.rpm
- custom-built xen-3.1.1 rpm
- RHEL 4.5 i386 domU, with kernel-xenU-2.6.9-55.EL

You could simplify things a lot by simply using F8 for dom0.

Just follow the tutorial and it should work. Note that even though it says "
3)  Herbert Xu's network segmentation offload could not be
    backported to RHEL4 without destabilizing the network
    layer for non-Xen kernels too, so network performance
    in RHEL4 Xen guests will not be as good as that in RHEL5.
"

testing with iperf says I have 1.60 Gbits/sec transfer rate from dom0 to
domU, so network works just fine.

Regards,

Fajar