Re: [Xen-users] Xen Disk I/O performance vs native performance: Xen I/O is definitely super super super slow

Hi,

OK, so I did the hdparm + bonnie++ benchmarks on the server, and posted
all the results to pastebin :
http://pastebin.ca/874800

To put it in a nutshell : Xen I/O is even worse than I previously
thought on a RAID array...

To give more details :
1] LVM vs Native partition doesn't seem to have much effect either with
or without Xen (so I don't seem to run the problems Mitch Kelly talked
about in a previous post)

(compare test 1 vs test 2, as well as test 7 vs test 8)
However, note that I haven't had a chance to do a comparison of LVM vs
Native on top of RAID directly... (this would mean re-installing my
whole server, etc...). I only tested the performance on non-raid disks.

2] Xen Dom0 vs Non-Xen Kernel doesn't seem to have a huge performance
difference. bonnie++ gave slightly different results, but I guess we can
accuse the the experimental nature of the benchmarks
(compare test 3 vs test test 5)

3] Xen Dom0 vs Xen Dom U performance is like day and night !!!!
Compare test 4 vs test 5).
Additionally, the hdparm results are completly different each time the
command is ran, so we can only really  compare the bonnie++ results,
which are not really consistent either..... It's like if xen over lvm
over RAID would just result to not consistent results... Would there be
a reason for that ?

So, if we take, for instance, Sequential Input by block, we have 37MB/s
(worst case)/74MB/s (best case) vs 173MB. this makes Xen SUPER SUPER
SUPER slow, at least twice as slow even when considering the best
results I could get..

4] However, the weird thing is that if you look at test 6 vs test 1 you
can see that Xen over LVM without RAID does not seem to degrade the
performance. I should have used a bigger file size, but test 7 vs test 8
definitely confirms the trend, even if the numbers are not completly
exact in test 6 because of the small disk size...

So, conclusion, I am lost :
On the one side, it seems that Xen, when used on top of a raid array, is
wayyy slower, but when used on top a plain old disk, seems to be pretty
much native performance. Is there a potential link between Xen and RAID
vs non raid performance ? Or maybe the problem is caused by Xen + RAID +
LVM ?

What do you think about that ?

regards,
Sami Dalouche