Re: [Xen-users] Best distro with out of the box xen support?

Michael Jinks wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:44:43AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

Drifting a bit off-topic, but I don't do that either.  We compile new
packages once per architecture, store them on a file server, and push
out to machines using our config manager.  Portage's support for binary
packages isn't mentioned very often but it's worked really well for us.

We used Gentoo as our primary flavor of Linux on servers for about 2-3 years. But while Gentoo is great for figuring things out and rolling out highly customized environments, I got tired of trying to keep up.

So we finally swallowed our pride of being able to roll our own unique environment and started using CentOS 5. And as much as "Linux is Linux", it's a lot easier to call up a support company and get help with a corporate-targeted distro like RedHat / CentOS then a DIY distro like Gentoo. Gentoo was great for testing the waters.

I admire the Gentoo community. They're extremely helpful and knowledgeable. But I just didn't feel like there was a good focus on stability from the people maintaining portage packages. So in the interest of getting things done and reducing our work load, we switched to a distro with a lot more commercial backing.

Plus, like the old saying "you can't get fired for buying IBM", it's a lot easier to defend using CentOS / RedHat in a corporate environment. They have enough visibility in the corporate sector that it's easy to point at other large companies who are running on top of RHEL. Which keeps the C-level executives off of my back about platform choices.

Which, of course, is *way* off-topic...