RE: [Xen-users] Getting a Dom0 Kernel Version > 2.6.18 ?

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stefan de Konink
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 20:23
To: Anthony Wright
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Getting a Dom0 Kernel Version > 2.6.18 ?

Anthony Wright schreef:
> As far as I work out the version of the Dom0 linux kernel has to be
> 2.6.18. This is causing me a lot of problem, because the driver support
> in 2.6.18 is slowly falling behind, and I finding that more modern
> hardware isn't supported by the 2.6.18 drivers.
>
> Is it possible to use a more recent version of the kernel for Dom0, or
> am I stuck with 2.6.18?
>
> Is there another way I can use more modern drivers? I'm particularly
> interested in the sky2 ethernet driver at the moment, but have had
> problem with other ethernet drivers and SATA drivers in the past.
>
> Are there any plans to upgrade xen to use a later kernel version for Dom0?

Gentoo has a 2.6.21 kernel; that is rather stable. I also have major
problems with the .18 release on Dell hardware. (Network device order
issues etc. etc.)

Stefan

        I use Fedora 8.  It has a 2.6.21 Dom0 as well.  Regarding stability,
I can't say I push it to the limits, but I haven't had any trouble with it.
I had to use Fedora 8 because CentOS 5.2 didn't have drivers for my NIC
(RTL8111/8168B according to F8 lspci) and I couldn't get the vendor provided
ones to work.  Fedora 8 will EOL soon, though, and Fedora 9 doesn't include
Dom0 support, plus Fedora 10 probably won't (at least not initially) either.
I don't know what kind of timeline Gentoo runs on...
        Dustin