From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:43 PM
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: domU network fails under load - vif breaks

> On Sep 1, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Paul wrote:
>

>     At a certain point that I have not established exactly, the
>     network load takes out the pv network. For example, if I initiate
>     a bittorrent session in a pv domU, I get a slow build up of
>     network load, and then connectivity is lost to both of the pv
>     domU's. If I console into them, they cannot ping outside the
>     network, but they can ping their own interfaces. A tcpdump on the
>     dom0 physical shows no traffic. However, during all this, the hvm
>     domains are able to use their network connections without issues.
>
> I have experienced the same issue with Ubuntu 8.04. The only solution
> I have found is to limit the rate of the nic so that it doesn't reach
> a transfer rate that breaks the networking.
> Pepe

Thanks Pepe.  My last test showed the network breaking at 3.6Mbs  - too
slow to lower the nic rate, and having networking running that slow
would make the vm unusable for its purpose.

I have upgraded Xen from 3.2.1 to 3.3, and the problem remains, which
means I have changed:

1) Change domU kernel (2.6.21, 2.6.24, 2.6.25)
2) Change domU userland (gentoo, ubuntu)
3) Change dom0 physical nic + driver (Realtek 8169 -> 8168)
4) Change Xen version (3.2.1 -> 3.3)

The only thing I haven't changed is the dom0 kernel. I am using a stock
2.6.21-xen gentoo kernel, so it would be great if anyone watching this
that has pv domUs working under a 2.6.21 kernel would post their .config
so I can compare it to mine.

Thanks,

Paul