Re: [Xen-users] Best way to redundant images?

Marc A. MÃller <Marc.Mueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have two xen hosts, each of them has one disk and should be the host
> for several domU's. Live migration should be supported. If one host
> fails, it should be possible to boot the affected virtual machines on
> the other host, having the last written data available.

You'd better use SAN (FC, AoE, iSCSI) instead of local disks for the
VM images.  However, if you can't...

> It seems to be the best way to mount the mirrored/replicated disks in
> both dom0's, create virtual groups using lvm and export logical devices
> to the domU's, one logical device for each virtual machine.

You don't mount the mirrored/replicated disks but use them as PVs.

> Maybe it's a good idea then to use clvm to make changes of the virtual
> groups possible at runtime. Is there any easy to install and configure
> alternative to clvm?

Clvm requires some setup, but really has this advantage.

> What is an easy way of mirror and mount both disks in dom0?

No need to mount them, run your VMs on LVs.

> A) DRBD / GNBD / Some kind of shared FS

No need of shared FS is you run your VMs on LVs.

> B) Export all drives using ISCSI / Create software raid of the same
> disks in both dom0's

Linux software RAID isn'n cluster aware, this would result is serious
data corruption.
--
Feri.