Re: [Xen-users] major slow down with xen implementation

Hi all,

We have similar servers, and I use xen 3.2.1 (3.3.0 seems to be too
buggy). The hypervisor is 64bit, but all domains (including dom0) are
32bit PAE, because a 64bit dom0 - for example - can't migrate a 32bit
domU, but a 32bit domU can migrate a 64bit domU, AFAIK. So, accordint to
my experiences, 32bit PAE domains (with the original xen.org kernels, if
you can afford it) running on a 64bit hypervisor seem to be the best
soulution to utilize a beast like your machine. Xen 3.2.1 seems to be
fast, and reliable.

ïI compiled xen the following way:
I downloaded the linux-2.6.18-xen-3.2.0 kernel and xen-3.2.1 separately,
and then first, i compiled the kernel by:

gzip -dc /proc/config.gz
make menuconfig
<SOME CONFIGURATION, especially don't forget to set "Processor type and
features" -> "High Memory Support" to 64GB in order to make it a PAE
kernel>
make
<During the building process, i watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLyTrsk1Ey8>
make install
make modules_install
mkinitrd <IN SOME WAY>

After compiling and installing the kernel, I compiled and installed xen,
but I didn't do a "make world" at all!! I did it the following way:

On a 64 bit machine, or by cross-compiling (i've personally never
tried), I build the hypervisor:
make xen #this creates only the hypervisor (/boot/xen-3.3.0.gz)
ïmake install-xen
After installing, I copy the hypervisor (/boot/xen-3.2.1.gz) to the
32bit target dom0.

And finally I compile and install the tools on the (32bit, of course)
dom0:
make tools #this creates thigs like the xm command, hvm environment,
           #network scripts, etc.

make install-tools

Best regards,

Tamas

2008. 09. 25, csÃtÃrtÃk keltezÃssel 11.22-kor Geoffrey ezt Ãrta: