Re: [Xen-users] Problem with VT-d on Mainboard Intel DQ45CB

Hello James,

Am Donnerstag, 13. November 2008 19:04 schrieb James550:
> Should I start over using a deb/Ubuntu style OS?  Would that
> give me more options/better compatibility for the Xen install?
I don't think that you need to switch to Debian.
The packets I install on my Debian machine just provide the basis for the
build environment (compiler, libs etc.)

All what comprises Xen is part of the stuff you download via mercurial using
the commands

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

> I can't
> seem to accomplish some of the install steps that you listed in your reply
> as I just am not finding RH equivalent commands...
What exactly are these commands?
If you refer to the preliminary

dpkg -i ./mercurial-common_1.0.1-5.1~bpo40+1_all.deb
dpkg -i ./mercurial_1.0.1-5.1~bpo40+1_amd64.deb
        and
aptitude install iproute
aptitude install bridge-utils
this is no problem.

You 'just'  need to find out the equivalent package manager commands for your
distro. As an alternative you also may download the software as tar-balls and
compile them yourself on your machine.

The following info is from the /usr/src/xen-unstable.hg/README.
It lists all the components you need for building Xen from the sources.

## START

Quick-Start Guide - Source Release
==================================

First, there are a number of prerequisites for building a Xen source
release. Make sure you have all the following installed, either by
visiting the project webpage or installing a pre-built package
provided by your Linux distributor:
    * GCC v3.4 or later
    * GNU Make
    * GNU Binutils
    * Development install of zlib (e.g., zlib-dev)
    * Development install of Python v2.3 or later (e.g., python-dev)
    * Development install of curses (e.g., libncurses-dev)
    * Development install of openssl (e.g., openssl-dev)
    * Development install of x11 (e.g. xorg-x11-dev)
    * bridge-utils package (/sbin/brctl)
    * iproute package (/sbin/ip)
    * hotplug or udev

## END