Re: [Xen-users] link mode on pv sles9

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM, jeroen groenewegen van der weyden
<groen692@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Perhaps it's simply because the domU network driver you use don't support
>> 1Gbps.
>
> I guess this is the case.

I just tested RHEL4.6 HVM (kernel 2.6.9-67) with PV driver
(kmod-xenpv-0.1-10.el4), and got some interesting results :

(1) xennet is really just a symlink to xen-vnif, and xenblk is just a
symlink to xen-vbd (the symlinks are not there on RHEL5's
kmod-xenpv-0.1-9.el5.i686.rpm)
(2) after loading xennet, I got two network interfaces :
- eth0 -> the emulated realtek
- eth1 -> xennet

Note that my vif line says
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:XX:XX:XX, bridge=brXXX' ]

i.e. no ioemu keyword. I set it up like that from the start (when I
haven't installed kmod-xenpv yet) and it works. kmod-xenpv's readme
specifically says "remove type=ioemu in the xen guest config file"

(3) ethtool shows these result

[root@rhel4hvm ~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: yes

[root@rhel4hvm ~]# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
        Link detected: yes

(note the output difference)

(4) iperf to dom0 with eth0 (emulated realtek) activated got about 62
Mbps, while with eth1 (xennet) got about 3 Gbps

Which means that PROBABLY :
- you still have ioemu line on your xen domU config, OR
- your xennet driver is not activated yet (or perhaps the original
realtek driver prevents it from activating), OR
- SLES 9's pv driver is different (and judging from your throughput,
inferior) compared to RHEL's. I highly doubt this, but it's still a
possibility.

What does rpm -qi (whatever package that provides xennet) say on your system?
What does "lsmod | grep xen" and ""lsmod | grep 8" say?
What does ethtool say?
What does "dmesg | grep eth" say?
What does your domU vif config look like?

Depending on the output, you might to fix some setup or replace SLES'
driver with RH's

Regards,

Fajar