Re: [Xen-users] Xen configuration file format

On Tuesday 7 April 2009, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * In xen 3.0.x I had used virt-install to create new domU's. This in turn
> > created a config file in /etc/xen. I'm trying to do the same with xen
> > 3.3.1 and the accompanying virt-install. The domU's are created an run
> > properly, but there's no longer a config file in /etc/xen. So how can I
> > tweak the configuration after initial setup ?
>
> The configuration is now managed by xend (which is the same thing if
> you run "xm new", btw).
> Here are some options to change domU config :
> - use virt-manager to change some settings
> - edit the configuration on the fly (using xm and virsh). For example,
> there's "xm block-attach"
> - stop, dump, delete, edit, load, start domU. For example, if your
> domU name is "test" :
> # xm shutdown test
> ( wait for it to exit)
> # xm list -l test > test.sxp
> ( edit test.sxp using your favorite editor )
> # xm delete test
> # xm new -F test.sxp
> # xm start test

Thank you for this information. The sxp format is apparently quite different
from the python syntax I used so far. Where can I find more information about
this format ?

> > I still have some domU's (with config) from before I installed gitco xen.
> > They seem to work fine. However 'xm list' will always show all the domU's
> > created with gitco's virt-install (I mean whether they are started or
> > stopped), and only the domU's created before gitco that are actually
> > running. So if I stop a gitco created domU, it still appears in 'xm list'
> > with no state, but if I stop a pre-gitco domU, it disappears completely
> > from 'xm list'. I can start it with no problems though and it will
> > reappear in 'xm list'.
>
> with /etc/xen/* config files : xm create
> with xend-managed domUs : "xm new" and "xm start" (see example above)

Would it be possible to convert the /etc/xen/* config files to xend-managed
domUs ?

> You could always dump virt-install/virt-manager altogether and create
> domU config files manually.

To better understand how xen works, I would definitely want to experiment with
manually created domU config files.

I am a bit puzzled on how to bootstrap a new domU creation this way.

My dom0 is CentOS 5.2. With virt-install I managed to setup several other
CentOS 5.2 domU's, but it fails with for example Fedora 10. Is there some good
documentation on how to do a manual domU setup, including installation of the
guest OS ? Or maybe some examples of how this was done ?

Thank you,

Geert

--
Kobalt W.I.T.