Re: [Xen-users] Re: [quagga-users 10973] Quagga on Xen - Latency / Bandwidth?

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:52:47AM -0400, Alexis Rosen wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2009, at 4:04 AM, Robert Dunkley wrote:
> >I was wondering if anyone is running Quagga on Xen? What is
> >throughput/latency like?
> >
> >Was looking for about a gig of mixed packet size BGP throughput.
>
> Presumably you mean internet traffic.
>
> On bare metal (no Xen), that will work fine for mixed Internet
> traffic, but you need to think about corner cases. What do you expect
> to have happen when you get DDoSed with minimum-size packets? I don't
> think even the multiqueue GbE cards will let you handle that, but I
> have not tested that, and I'd love to be proven wrong.
>
> I'm also under the impression that Linux 2.6.30 kernels have some
> significant patches to make (better?) use of multiqueue cards but I
> don't remember the details. Maybe 2.6.30 can distribute ksoftirqd load
> over multiple cores? If so that's a big win, as that was the killer
> with large PPS when we tested on somewhat less powerful hardware with
> an older kernel, and you can probably handle a full gbps of min-sized
> packets if you give it a number of cores (and you have enough queues).

Here's some recent thread on lkml about linux 10 gbit routing performance:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/70e62d8a85cd3241

"We also achieved nearly 80 Gbps in bidirectional TCP tests (40 Gbps
simultaneously in each direction):"

But that was on baremetal.

> Another question to think about (sorry, no answers here, just
> questions): If you do run under Xen, is there interrupt load in both
> the dom0 and the domU? In that case you'll get pounded. Maybe
> dedicating an entire Ethernet port to the domU is a way to work around
> that. I know Xen3 has provisions for that sort of thing but I haven't
> used it.

Other link about Xen network performance with Solarflare 10 Gbit
"Accelerated" NIC:

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/04/07/white-paper-getting-10-gbs-from-xen-safe-and-fast-device-access-from-unprivileged-domains/
http://blog.xen.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/getting_10gbps_from_xen_.pdf

-- Pasi