RE: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:51:04 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:52:05 -0800

> If double write is what you need, my first suggestion already does
> that:
> - san exports its storage as iscsi
> - server/PC imports iscsi share from both san
> - setup raid1 on server using those two iscsi imports
>
> no need to modify xen code as linux md can already do it.
>
> --
> Fajar

The problem I've encountered with doing HA storage in the domU is that you are
now doubling the required throughput of the dom0's iSCSI interface, which is
already easy to bottleneck if it's only GigE.  125MB/s may seem like a lot of
throughput, but if you start by cutting that in half for RAID traffic, and then
share that remaining bandwidth across 5 domU's, you're going to fill it up
pretty quick.

The other problem is that if you ever take a node down, and you have 5 domUs
configured in this way, when that node comes back up, all of your domUs will
attempt to resync the mirror simultaneously.  I'd bet that this could actually
lead to catastrophic kernel panics, as the domUs can become IO starved.

-Nathan