RE: [Xen-users] Xen License

  • To: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jonathan Tripathy" <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:46:28 +0100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:49:55 -0700

Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

>But surly if I'm only offering the basic distro, it is up to my
>customer to pay for any non-free software, right?
>
>Of course all Linux distro allow you to install non-free software,
>however it's ok for my customers to do it, isn't it?

That depends on the terms of the contract between you and your customer.

I you are renting them a base "free only" VM then it would be
reasonable to make it a contract term that the customers deals with
licensing for any software he installs on it.

This sounds fair enough.

Are you aware of any software which would cause problems in this area? For example, they would be allowed to install Oracle or MYSQL on a rented VM, provided they were in control of it, right?

As for the "free only" base image, that would just be a standard PV install of Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS, right?

Thanks