Re: [Xen-users] RHEL6 beta vs. Xen

On 10/06/10 17:19, Grant McWilliams wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:16 AM, John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Speaking for myself, not on behalf of my employer:

[snip]
So if the Hypervisor is completely different then OEL they're pulling off some pretty neat magic. OEL has tracked RHEL release for release from 4.4 to 5.5 so unless you believe in celestial teapots we can assume it might continue to do so.

Does anyone actually use Oracle VM so we can get a qualified answer as to what it IS running? I'm downloading both now as I'm curious.

The hypervisor on Oracle VM presently announces itself as 3.4.0.ÂÂ There are, as you might imagine, patches on top of that.ÂÂ It really iis dramatically different.ÂÂÂ The critical thing (in part of what I snipped out) is that Oracle applications are certified to run on guests in OracleVM, but not as guests in the Xen implementation that's in OEL5 (or RHEL5), regardless as to whether it's Xen or KVM.

What makes the most sense is OEL6 will track RHEL6 and they'll go through the trouble of getting Xen in Dom0 since they now have 3 VM technologies surrounding Xen. However, they could just move all their management tools to KVM and dump Xen as well.

I'm not going to comment on this, not because I know what the future is (I don't) but because I don't want to tie myself in knots being circumspect.

jch, speaking for myself