Re: [Xen-users] RHEL6 beta vs. Xen

  • To: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:56:26 +0200
  • Cc: John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 05:57:59 -0700

Hi,

> Does anyone actually use Oracle VM so we can get a qualified answer as to
> what it IS running? I'm downloading both now as I'm curious.

Oracle VM runs Xen 3.4.0 as already stated. I figured a new release
will follow shortly to bring in things like tmem compression, default
use directed balloning (dom0 manages ram sharing / paging out idle
VMs), bkltap2 and such.
It is very close to normal Xen on the first look, but has quite a few
modifications for performance / stability
(yes, really, not just in the whitepapers)

> What makes the most sense is OEL6 will track RHEL6 and they'll go through
> the trouble of getting Xen in Dom0 since they now have 3 VM technologies
> surrounding Xen. However, they could just move all their management tools to
> KVM and dump Xen as well.

I find that unlikely so far.
I could imagine Oracle VM to be sucked into / dropped for Sun xVM Ops.
Oracle VM has a very neat Xen setup and a not exciting GUI, so it
would be a sensible move.

Flo

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'