Re: [Xen-users] quick question about bonding with vlans and Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:32:49 +0200
  • Cc: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:11:02 -0700

Op dinsdag 22 juni 2010 20:14:18 schreef Donny Brooks:
> On 6/21/2010 7:37 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Donny Brooks<dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> >> But I would like to at least take advantage of the vlan support so I
> >> can at least test that. Shouldn't I be able to do the following to
> >> enable vlan support?:
> >>
> >> remove bond0 interface
> >> setup eth1 as vlan master
> >> change any reference to bond0 in the bond0.XX and brXX files to eth1
> >> restart networking
> >> and hopefully it just work?
> >
> > You still need the bridge. So you can dump bond0, change all bond0.XX
> > to eth1.XX, but you still need brXX.
>
> Ok, after a little clearing my head and thinking about it I found the
> "simple thing I was missing"... I had to change the MTU setting on my
> servers network cards to allow the vlan header to be passed. I was
> unable to even get the eth2.X interfaces to work so I knew it had to be
> something else. I changed the MTU and it started working on the eth2.X
> devices (with the brXX stuff of course). After changing the MTU to 1496
> on eth1 - eth3 I then commenced testing the various bond modes again.
> Here are the results:
>
> mode=0 No go
> mode=1 Works
> mode=2 No go
> mode=3 Didn't test
> mode=4 Works
> mode=5 Didn't test
> mode=6 No go
>

> I tested by doing a clean reboot after changing modes. Any idea why some
> did and some didn't? All I changed between modes was the mode=X in the
> modules.conf file. And of course the switch information for mode 4.
>
> So I was able to finally settle on mode 4 since it is the only one that
> works and provides fault tolerance and load balancing. I just knew it
> was a simple thing I was missing. Thanks to all that have helped me
> through this. I have backed up all my configs incase anyone else wants
> to try this.
>
> One question though: should mode4 allow an increase in overall
> throughput if I am able to setup another host with bonded interfaces? I
> am mainly looking at my backuppc installation as well as eventually
> doing live failover of domu's.
>
> Donny B.

mode 4 is what i use.

if the switch can handle it, yes.

or if you can get 2 switches that can bond interfaces over different switches,
that'd be nice too. for switch failover. (but those kind of switches are
expensive and usually have fibrechannel to connect them together)