Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP

  • To: xenList <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Henrik Andersson <henrik.j.andersson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:31:32 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:32:30 -0800

I don't know what he means but he states, and I quote:
"We'll test a java web application (online banking), and we basically
want to see which environment will process more TPS
(transactions per
second), which is directly related to disk I/O."

To me he's benchmarking native RHEL5 against virtualized RHEL5, same way one could benchmark RHEL5 against Ubuntu or Solaris.  Maybe he will tell us what he meant by that and to be honest, I might understand him incorrectly because of my english.

-Henrik Andersson

On 12 January 2011 22:21, Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/12/2011 03:17 PM, Henrik Andersson wrote:
> What makes you think that adding a virtualization layer to the picture
> would increase the performance? Would be bit odd to have same operating
> system perform better when it is run on a virtual machine.
>
> -Henrik Andersson

I would suspect that OP is trying to asses whether the performance hit
would be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of virtualization.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@xxxxxxxxxxx