Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP

  • To: xenList <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Henrik Andersson <henrik.j.andersson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:54:51 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:56:07 -0800

I think that is valid thing to figure out and I'm also interested in the results, it happens to be something I have been thinking also. Just didn't get to testing part for some reason.

By the way, what version of XCP are you planning to use? XCP 0.5 or 1.0 Beta?

Benchmark's made using xenServer should give you atleast some idea of what to expect. I'm thinking some one has made similar test's, would be odd if not.

-Henrik Andersson

On 12 January 2011 22:39, Boris Quiroz <bquiroz.work@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/1/12 Digimer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 01/12/2011 03:17 PM, Henrik Andersson wrote:
>> What makes you think that adding a virtualization layer to the picture
>> would increase the performance? Would be bit odd to have same operating
>> system perform better when it is run on a virtual machine.
>>
>> -Henrik Andersson
>
> I would suspect that OP is trying to asses whether the performance hit
> would be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of virtualization.
>
> --
> Digimer
> E-Mail: digimer@xxxxxxxxxxx
> AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
> Node Assassin:  http://nodeassassin.org

Answering Henrik's question: We just want to see the results. If RHEL
native process, for example, 5000 TPS and RHEL+XCP process 4900, we
obviously will continue with a virtualized environment because the
difference is not significant to us.

Literature says that performance for guest is near-native, and that's
what I wanna test. And if somebody has already done this kind of test,
I could know what to expect.

Thanks.

--
@cereal_bars