Re: [Xen-users] iscsi vs nfs for xen VMs

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Our plan is to use FreeBSD + HAST + ZFS + CARP to create a
> redundant/fail-over storage setup, using NFS. ÂVM hosts will boot off
> the network and mount / via NFS, start up libvirtd, pick up their VM
> configs, and start the VMs. ÂThe guest OSes will also boot off the
> network using NFS, with separate ZFS filesystems for each guest.

that's a thing I've been thinking also:  it used to be common to
deploy no-storage servers that NFS-mounted their systems.  a good NFS
server (or server farm) works really good for that.   why would VMs
need block storage?

Of course, the counterpoint are database servers, I wouldn't store
database tables on NFS.  But a smaller SAN just for DB tablespaces
might still be more manageable than filesystem images.

--
Javier