Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] XCP network and VLAN by Open vSwitch

Dear Todd and Everyone,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Wei-Chih Chen <wcchen.tw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Sorry that I still have many questions about network of XCP 1.0 .
>
> Can Linux Bridge and Open vSwitch coexist and work at the same time?

No, the modules conflict.

> The command "xe-switch-network-backend openvswitch" enables vSwitch.
> This means "just turn on vSwitch" or "turn on vSwitch and turn off Linux
> Bridge"?
The latter.

> "A  network is a virtual Ethernet switch on a XenServer host."
> Does the virtual Ethernet switch the same as the virtual bridge created by
> "ovs-vsctl add-br"?

which virtual Ethernet switch is being referred to here? OVS switches
are compatible with standard linux bridges, but OVS adds more
features. You may want to discuss the finer points of this with the
ovs-discuss mailing list.
XenServer  5.6 FP1 Admin Guide (p.72) defines "network", which is one type of server-side software objects which represent networking entities.
"A  network, which is a virtual Ethernet switch on a XenServer host. Network objects have a name and
description, a globally unique UUID, and the collection of VIFs and PIFs connected to them.
"
OK, I will discuss with ovs-discuss mailing list.
> From administrator's guide, there are 4 types of network in XenServer.
> It seems that only cross-server private network needs Open vSwitch, which is
> managed by vSwitch Controller.
> (Another 3 networks use Linux bridge?)
> However, XCP does not support cross-server private network.
> I think it is because vSwitch Controller is a commercial product.
> Does this mean Citrix does not provide XCP users a way/tool to control Open
> vSwitch?

Right, the Citrix vSwitch Controller is a commercial product (as far
as I know). My guess is that it doesn't come as a standalone product,
but instead is included with the commercial (non-free) version of
Citrix XenServer. You could ask in the Citrix XenServer forums for
clarification/confirmation.
From Citrix forum http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1523064 ,
it vSwitch Controller can be downloaded as a .xva file after log in My Citrix.
I've donwloaded and imported as VM.
However, it is started with errors:
"This VM cannot be started, as its network interfaces could not be connected. One of the NICs is in use elsewhere."
From XenCenter, the field "Active" of any attached network is "No", but those of other VMs are "Yes".
Maybe I do not meet requirements of vSwitch Controller, and will try more.
Or maybe it detects that the host is XCP and prevents from starting on free edition of XenServer

> Or Citrix does not plan to bring benefits of Open vSwitch to XCP, therefore
> does not integrate Open vSwitch and XCP completely?

I think that it would be nice for the possibility of adding on the
commercial controller to XCP, but as of now I don't think there is any
support for that.

> XCP users only have to use ovs- commands (from Todd and admin@xxxxxxxxxxx,
> ovs commands may confuse XAPI) or OpenFlow controllers to complete what
> vSwitch Controller does?

Right. At this point on XCP you are probably forced to roll your own
controller solution. You should discuss this on the nox, openflow, and
open vSwitch mailing lists for what your options are.
I am trying Beacon, which a Java-based OpenFlow controller, because my developing language is Java.

see also:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XCP/XenServer_Feature_Matrix

I don't actually see the vSwitch controller on there as an item, but I
think we should sort this point out and add it.
There is a feature "Distributed virtual switching management tool" at that wiki page.
I think it is vSwitch Controller.

Thanks,
Todd

> Thanks a lot.