Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On Thu December 8 2011, 1:32:59 PM, jim burns wrote:
> On Thu December 8 2011, 1:30:31 PM, jim burns wrote:
> > I just got thru playing with this - neat!
>
> And it is a bit slow. 'marble --timedemo' gives 3 fps in Xephyr, and 28 fps
> running natively on my Xephyr client.

Well, I played some more with my hvm installed suse domu, and found out
something interesting.

I installed xen (and libvirt, etc.) in the hvm domu, created a menu.lst stanza
for booting into the hvm domu with a hypervisor, setup a bridge, and created a
cfg file for installing a suse pv guest on a suse dom0. (Yeah, I know - since
I'm only installing a pv domu, I could have done all this on my bare metal
suse system, but I've always been intrigued by the possibility of nested
virtualization. :-) ) I'm stretching thin the amount of memory on my system as
is, so it was a small domu - just 233MB of memory, but it was enough to bring
the Yast installer up.

GUESS WHAT? Yast has a mouse in a suse domu under a suse dom0!!! My guess -
suse up to now has been using the old style architecture xenlinux, and even in
2.6.37, it looks like xenlinux with some back-ported new features. I think the
mouse in a suse domu is depending on something in the suse dom0 kernel that
isn't present in my normal fedora dom0 kernel!

I also found out the syntax for your install= line under suse (and fedora) by
playing around with suse's vm-install, to create a cfg file. With this line, I
go straight to the Yast installer, without stopping at the initial blue
screens to enter my network info:

extra=" install=nfs://192.168.1.100:/home/jimb/Cmpq "