Re: [Xen-users] Problems with serial IO PCI card in DomU

  • To: <sk71@xxxxxx>
  • From: "netz-haut - stephan seitz" <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:26:23 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:27:54 +0000

Hi,

I assume, you're running a different kernel in your domU.

First, prepare your dom0:
- Blacklist the module in your dom0
    e.g. echo "blacklist snx" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-snx.conf
- Be sure to load the pci-back Module in dom0 (assuming this has been built as module)
    e.g. echo "xen-pciback" >> /etc/modules
- Hide the pci device in your dom0
    e.g. echo "options xen-pciback hide=(0000:08:03.0)" >>/etc/modprobe.d/xen-pciback.conf
In short words, be sure to disable that pci card in your dom0.
Maybe you'll want to have a look here : http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module
If xen-pciback has been statically built into your dom0 kernel, you could also try to add
pciback.hide=(0000:08:03.0) to your kernel parameters in your bootloader config.

dom0 should NOT be able to use 08:03.0 anymore.

Having this done, boot up your domU with the domU parameters, you've already added.
You didn't say how your domU is configured, personally I'ld always prefer the kernel and initrd inside the domU.
Install kernel-headers and build your snx module inside your domU.
Depending on your setup, there are many ways to get that module up in your domU, but building it inside a domU
is comparably painless when it comes to different compiler and/or kernel versions. Even if you think of updates.

Now, modprobe snx inside your domU should drive the card.

Anyway, I'ld doublecheck the necessity of pci-back/pci-front for relatively simple services like tty. In the long run,
an independent domU is much easier to handle. Using pci-back/pci-front, your domU has the potential capability
of kicking your whole box out of service. TTY can easily be redirected over TCP/IP.

Cheers,

--

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

   netz-haut GmbH
   multimediale kommunikation

   Zweierweg 22
   97074 Würzburg

   Telefon: 0931 2876247
   Telefax: 0931 2876248

   Web: www.netz-haut.de

   Amtsgericht Würzburg – HRB 10764
   Geschäftsführer: Michael Daut, Kai Neugebauer