Re: [Xen-users] XCP & Openstack

Hi Todd,

If I'm parsing that script below correctly --

For every time someone is making a git commit, it's grabbing the UUID for each commit and generating an RPM for that version and uploading it.

Hmmm, dare I ask if there is something like a single place to grab a reasonably stable release of plugins that is tied to a particular XCP or OS version?

Yep, totally hear you -- my goal is to do a dual-node install (1 controller + multiple compute nodes) by creating a Chef recipe based on the existing xenserver recipes in the openstack cookbook.

Cheers,
Andrew

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Eross <eross@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>
> Thanks! Yup, that Xen cookbook is actually where I'm about to start from...
> with a combination of the knowledge from the other various pages.
>
> Ah, got it about the plugins, good hint there.
>
> One question though, do you know how to make sense of the 100 some-odd
> identical looking RPMs
> in http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/ ?

This is currently running with a Jenkins script on each commit:

cd plugins/xenserver/xenapi/contrib
export VER=`git rev-parse HEAD`
perl -i -pe 's/^(Release:\s+)(.+)/$1$ENV{VER}/'
rpmbuild/SPECS/openstack-xen-plugins.spec
./build-rpm.sh
mkdir -p openstack-xen-plugins
cp rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/*.rpm openstack-xen-plugins
createrepo openstack-xen-plugins
scp -r openstack-xen-plugins
deshantm@xxxxxxxxxxx:/data/files/downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack

In production you'd want to run this script for a particular release
of your OpenStack deployment so that it is in sync.

> Could I ask though what you mean when you say that the instructions at
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment  are for development?

They are good for setting up a development environment, but for
deploying OpenStack you should really use configuration management
(Puppet, Chef, Crowbar, etc.)

> I mean, other than that the configuration details and network setup, etc,
> would all need to be changed.. is there anything in particular that setup is
> doing that would be otherwise undesirable?

Probably not, but you should encapsulate the best practices with the
e.g. chef scripts, etc.