Re: [Xen-users] xen tutorials?

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 15:34 +0100, bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2012 at 11:17, Lars Kurth wrote:
>
> > > That same page also has some discussion of guest install methods, e.g.
> > > using the xen-tools package (which builds on debootstrap). Another
> > > option for installing a Debian guest is to use the normal Debian
> > > installer. This is described in:
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Debian_Guest_Installation_Using_Debian_Installer
> > >
> > > Some other pages of interest:
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Debian
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Host_Install
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Guest_Install
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Getting_Started
> > >
> > > As others have mentioned you are probably better off using LVM than
> > > dedicating actual partitions to the guests (although this will work).
> > >
> > > Ian.
>
> Thanks Ian and thanks to all that gave me some good info.
>
> I did get both guests up and running but i did use two separate partitions
> and LVM. I do
> have a few issues.
>
> br0 and br1 wont start upon dom0 startup. I have added ifup br0 and ifup br1
> to rc.local to
> get them to start.

Do you have "auto br0" etc in your /etc/network/interfaces?

If you still have problems then please show us the config you are using.

> on guest1 using ifconfig I see eth1. Eth1 is not configured in
> /etc/network/interfaces so it
> shouldn't show up. It is not working as you can not ping its ip. Guest2 does
> use eth1 and not
> eth0.

I'm not entirely sure what you are describing here, can you describe
what you do see vs. what you expected to see?

Did you expect to see eth1 in guest1? or did you expect to see eth0?

What does guest1's vif configuration line look like?

If you expected eth0 then you might have an issue with the udev
persistent net rules, look under /etc/udev/rules.d for things which
might be renaming eth0->eth1 on boot.

If you expected eth1 then obviously you need to have eth1 in the
guest's /etc/network/interfaces if you want to use it.

> issueing xm list shows guest1 as running but guest2 shows a b for blocked but
> it is running
> and I can use it.

blocked just means the guest is idle (i.e. it is blocked in the
hypervisor). It is still available to run if something happens. On a
mostly idle system most guests will be blocked...

> Big question is how do I get these two guests to autostart if the server is
> rebooted?

The xendomains initscript can do this for you. IIRC you just need to put
the config files in /etc/xen/auto instead of /etc/xen.

Ian.