Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthru troubleshooting

Thanks for the suggestion. It's taking me down a weird path.

I attempted installation of the fglrx Linux driver, which failed
(while building the module for my domU kernel). At first I thought
perhaps it failed because an instance of X was running as the Nvidia
driver does, so I switched the Fedora VM to run level 3... and then my
monitor lit up... the one that the Fedora VM was supposed to control.
Never mind there's supposed to be no X11 in run level 3.

As far as I can tell there's no driver bound to the device. The
/sys/bus/pci/device/<BFD>/ directory contains no driver symlink. Also,
the lsmod listing doesn't include anything that's obviously a video
driver. So I'm guessing that's what happens when it's just pure
software rendering, but I don't really know.  In any case, it's
definitely not either of the radeon or fglrx drivers.

The configuration that produces the effect closest to what I was
aiming for has 'gfx_passthru=0', which allows me to watch boot via VNC
and then the secondary adapter takes over when gdm starts. However,  I
use 'gfx_passthru=1' then I get the same behaviour as before where the
guest starts without error, but appears to hang shortly after
power-on.

The Win7 VM behaviour is unchanged: 'gfx_passthru=0' starts booting
until the ATI driver loads and bluescreens; 'gfx_passthru=1'  hangs
very early after power-on. The result is the same whether using the
latest official release driver or the latest beta driver.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated