Re: [Xen-users] Windows DomU with SSDs

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We are thinking of venturing into the world of hosting Windows DomUs on
> our Xen infrastructure. As Windows generally requires a lot more IOPS than
> Linux does, we are trying to do everything we can to improve performance.
>
> While using SSDs would solve the IOPS problem, SSDs suffer from limited
> write cycles. So, we have the idea of using Flashcache from Facebook to use
> a single SSD as a cache in write-through mode, along with spindle drives in
> RAID10.
>
> My questions to the community are:
>
> 1) What are the general views of using SSDs in a Xen environment? All of our
> guests are "untrusted". Is this just generally a bad idea?
>
> 2) Does anyone have any experience of using Flashcache? Are there any
> potential issues that someone has come across?

Bcache (http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/ ) is another project that does the
same sort of thing as flashcache. Someone has put together some benchmarks
comparing the two, although obviously they might not reflect your workloads...

http://www.accelcloud.com/2012/04/18/linux-flashcache-and-bcache-performance-testing/

James