Re: [Xen-users] Success VGA passthrough on windows 7 x64 with Xen 4.2.1-pre

2012/9/27 Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 28/09/2012 00:52, Dariusz Krempa wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>>>
>>> I am also interested in knowing how you get the "nasty yellow triangle
>>> with
>>> error 43" to disappear.
>>>
>>> In addition, may I know which guide did you follow in getting VGA
>>> passthrough to work 100%?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yours sincerely,
>>>
>>> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
>>> Singapore

>> I started with guide from You dated 25 march 2012 to build Dom0 and
>> Xen 4.2, but with few modifications this time.
>> 1) I used kernel 3.6-rc7 for Dom0 -->
>> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/testing/linux-3.6-rc7.tar.bz2
>> 2) I used Xen from http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/staging/xen-unstable.hg/
>> 3) VGA patch from David's Gis rev 25240
>> 4) I used pciback to hide my gtx560 from Dom0, and for a while i have
>> had second gfx - hd4850, but now i removed it and i have only gtx560,
>> still working
>>
>> and finally I think I know what make that error 43 disappeared. At
>> first I did comment those lines in DomU config:
>>
>> #pci_msitranslate = 1
>> #pci_power_mgmt = 1
>> #xen_platform_pci=1
>> #xen_extended_power_mgmt=1
>>
>> When i had success with installation i start to remove comments and
>> the one which is nasty is pci_msitranslate. This make some other
>> problems, like not working USB ports, but ...
>>
>> If any other information will be needed please let me know.
>>
>> Hardware:
>> asus P8H67
>> asus GTX560 DCII top
>> 4GB ram
>>
>> System:
>> ubuntu 12.04
>> Dom0 kernel 3.6-rc7
>> DomU windows 7 x64
>> nvidia drivers 275.33 - but possibly 275.50 also will work

> Dear Dariusz Krempa,
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> I don't have pci_msitranslate = 1 in my Windows HVM domU config file, so I
> don't think "pci_msitranslate = 1" is the main cause of my "nasty yellow
> triangle with error 43".
>

> --
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> Singapore

I checked DomU with and without msi and with msi i saw bluescreen and
turning it off, and DomU again start normally. Like I wrote, I also
have different kernel for Dom0, with 3.3-rc7 i had error 43 and today
first time installed xen 4.2.1-pre( from source). Yesterday and days
before that i had xen 4.2-rc2 -- 4.2-rc4. Im not 100% sure what
(kernel or new xen) fixed problem and for now i will play with windows
7, maybe tommorow or day or two later i will again reinstall Dom0 to
check which one solved problem. In mean time at least we know that its
possible to pass vga to windows 7 DomU, and how. Im sure that You and
maybe other users will try on her own system with settings I
described. There was also few more things i did just before i had
success, but i think it has nothing to do with it. Just mention it:
- removed opencl libraries under windows system,
- removed cuda libraries under windows,
- reinstall nvidia drivers to version 275.33 (there was 306.xx or
something, dont remember)