Re: [Xen-users] How to change VM from para-virtualization to full-virtualization?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:10:20 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:11:30 +0000

Hello

El 12/11/12 20:17, Jing Chen escribió:
My kernel is SUSE linux 3.0.13-0.27-default which support the LVM.
Surely it does support LVM, but it's not build in the kernel itself. Instead, the initrd (INITial Ram Disk) is used, which carries the kernel modules (see them as "drivers") that are needed to continue booting, mount the "/" FS (where the rest of the modules resides), etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd

Usually, the initrd is not distributed as a binary, instead it is build directly on the target system, to make sure it includes everything it needs, and omit everything it does not need. It's a rather automatic process, so I would expect that if you just "force rebuild" your initrd, it will put everything in place.

Good idea to do that from a chroot environment, after booting your system from your distribution LiveCD. I'm not familiar with Suse at all, but I'm sure it's documentation describes this process.

I have another HVM using this kernel and run LVM well.
Is it possible to set the "/" resides in LVM volume?
Definitely "/" can reside on a LVM volume, it's a fairly common setup. If your other HVM system is similar to the one you are trying to get work, you may try to copy it's initrd to your "XVM69" machine. That would be dirty, but simple, in case you don't get your system booting by other means and re-build it's initrd natively.

I have seen the mail you sent me.
The path of the kernel and inird are relevant only on the boot loader stage. If you get past that point, you may conider you have a working configuration of that component. The boot from a LiveCD is the way I suggest to fix your booting. Once it works, your regular configuration shall become boot="c".

As a separate matter, please consider using some standard way to quote the sender's messages, otherwise your replay is difficult to read (even difficult to find). Allow me to suggest you some reference:
http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov